Saturday, May 14, 2011

First Mother's Day

I figured that since the whole topic of this blog is to share my first Mother's Day.
It became a weekend event.  My parents came on Friday.  Their visit was three fold to celebrate my birthday, mother's day, and Charleigh's dedication.

Saturday, we decided to go to breakfast to celebrate.  We all over ate because the food was so good.  Charleigh put on a show for all as she sat in the high chair eating her avacadoes and oatmeal and drank from her sippy cup.  I am sure her adorable personality and antics didn't add to people's interest.
Then we went to the farmer's market.  It  wasn't as exciting as I thought it was gonna be.  Charleigh slept through the whole thing.  Then it was back home to allegidadly relax.  Instead we  headed to the backyard to look at the  landscaping  project we started  back in October.  The weather was beautiful so we spent the rest of the day working on cleaning up the back yard and prepping the land for grass seed to be planted. The guys finished  planting the seed around 9:00 PM.
 In the middle of all that I found time to make Mother's Day dinner consisting of glazed apricot chicken, asparagus, mashed potatoes corn on the cob, with pineapple bliss cake for dessert.
We all slept in on Sunday since we have church in the evening.  I walked in and greeted the pastor's wife.  She has been a great support since we moved here.  She and her husband have accepted Bill and I from day one.  They prayed for Charleigh even while she was in the womb. So I was listening intently to what she said as she approached me, " Happy Mother's Day!  Does that seem wierd to hear since you have waited so long?"  I always wanted to be a mom.  It took 39 years for me to be ready and for God's perfect timing.  Then she continued, "Now you are in it for the long haul."  That struck me.  Sometimes I look at Charleigh and am amazed that she is my daughter.  Then other times fear comes over me and I wonder what  in the world I would do without her. 


The enormity of being a parent  continued to build as we were called up for  Charleigh's dedication.  Proverbs 22:6  was the key thought.  "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."  The pastor's thought was that we need to train Charleigh in the way that God would have for her not what we would plan for her.  I think at times that might be harder than I think.

Since then that small nugget has grown larger.  The moms club Bible Study Group is centered around the same topic.  One of the thoughts is knowing your child so you can tap into those passions instead of trying to live out  your life through theirs.  I have seen parents do this on several occasions.  Where does it get them?  It stresses everyone involved stressed out. I am not sure how it will play out with Charleigh she is so determined.  Her independent spirit is becoming more apparent as she has learned to sit and do her version of crawling that looks a little bit like a frog hop.  She is able to explore and get  what she wants even when it is not such a great idea.  It will be tricky to allow her freedom when appropriate but yet apply boundaries when needed.   The tight rope of balance will be a constant place of learning for the rest our lives.  It is a huge responsibility and a great priviledge to be the steward of this little life.

This new season  is bringing on some times of challenge and growth for all.  In the end it is one that has already given us great benefits which have included a great deal of Joy and increased faith.  So hearing Happy Mother's Day your in it for the long haul right now is bringing a huge smile to my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment