Friday, October 28, 2011

IS vs DOES? Who will win the battle?

I ran across this post on facebook the other day, it compared a "Super woman" to an "Abiding woman". It was posted on Bethany Conner's page so I don't know if she personally wrote this comparison or if it was some one else. 
Super woman
makes me think of the intro to Superman; if he were a woman it would say she is able to leap buildings in a single bound, she can run to the rescue faster than you can blink, and stop bullets with her own hand.  She can do all the above things because of she is so strong but in all reality she is not human.
Abiding Woman
The word abiding according to websters dictionary has 4 definitions
1. to find something tolerable or bearable
2. to live and reside in a place
3. to live or to wait for something
4. to endure or withstand something
This makes me think of John 15 and the illustration of the vine and the branches
 vs 4-5 below
Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.
5 "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.
The whole chapter uses the picture of a vine that has branches that are grafted in.   I was watching videos of how this is done. The vine is cut from one plant and taken to a new vine. The new vine is cut just enough that there is contact of the inner flesh of the branch and the vine. They taped them together so they are secured/held in place until the two fuse and begin to produce new life. The vine apart from that branch will die it needs a source of strength that is not it's own.
These pictures really made think about who I am and what I am doing in this one time thing called My Life. I am going to take each point apart by disecting it, having a selah moment or two, then try to digest and live it. In other words this could end up being several blogs.
The first comparison was  the super woman DOES, while the abiding woman IS.
These two words seem very simple but yet there are complex attitudes, actions, and emotions attached to each one. 
Do you see the difference of DOES and IS? 
Does is busy working and striving for something.  She is busy busy busy.  I picture her as the one who is trying to please  and serve others.  Biblical example would be Martha.  She was working to make a good and comfortable place so all is perfect.  Mary sits at the feet  of Jesus.  He rebukes Martha and commends Mary. ... Hmmm that is me alot of the time. 
What does an  IS woman look like.  The post included a verse  Psalm 46:10.  For the sake of context I am going to give you the whole chapter below.

For the director of music. Of the Sons of Korah. According to" alamoth. "A song."

1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,3 though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.5 God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day. 6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.7 The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.8 Come and see what the LORD has done, the desolations he has brought on the earth. 9 He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the shields with fire.
10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." 11 The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Looking at the first 2 words in the text ...Be still...
I looked up still in the Hebrew...meaning weakness, idleness, feeble ,staying, relax or withdraw.  Now isn't that a polar oppostie.  The note in my Bible to says to cease warlike activities  and consider God,  acknowledge his supremacy.  That takes us to Know. In the Hebrew there are many meeting but they all hing upon these terms: To recognize, admit acknowledge, confess, to reveal, to consider,to be instructed.   To me this means it is time to look at who God is which is what the psalmist did before he ever penned these words. Let him grow his picture of who he is. 
How does that apply to becoming  an IS woman?  If I am an IS woman, I am dead to my old self, (the person that has to do it all)  instead I am sitting before God realizing my strength comes from Him. That made me think of the the song Who am I by Casting Crowns..I was listening to an interview with 2 people from the band. The singer and  songwriter said that as He wrote was writing the song God began reminding him of what he wasn't so He could remind Him who he was in Him.  So in that we are weak  feeble and unable but as we are still, dwell on who God is, and  live a life of abiding (stay remain, wait for him) by faith He makes us strong to fulfill his purposes. I included a link below I hope you enjoy it and sit still and be an a serene state of IS instead of a  busy chaotic state of DOES today. 

1 comment:

  1. "weakness, idleness, feeble ,staying, relax or withdraw" - I love that definition. It takes recognizing our weakness to be able to relax. This is really good. I love Hebrew. Knowing the meaning is so rich. Thanks for writing on this - it's a great elaboration from what we talked about Thursday. Sitting, waiting, quieting - SO HARD! ACK. But we can do it.

    ReplyDelete